New Year’s Resolution

A typical New Year's Resolution.

A typical New Year's Resolution.

Marin Imhoff

Marin Imhoff

A typical New Year's Resolution.

Marin Imhoff, Writer

What is your 2016 News Year’s resolution? What was your News Year’s resolution the year before that? And the year before that? Well it doesn’t really matter because no one goes through with them anyway. Each year people set a new goal that they wish to follow throughout the next 365 days, but what people don’t seem to realize when setting these goals, is that they’re unrealistic and impractical. The most common New Year’s resolutions we’ve all heard each year are “no more chocolate” or “working out everyday”. Although these goals are great to have, no one seems to follow through. So why is this? Why is it so hard to go a year without eating chocolate? This is because people cave within the first week of the new year and then decide that there’s no point in continuing this goal. So here’s some advice on how to have the perfect New Year’s Resolution (that actually works).

I personally think that the more realistic your New Year’s resolution is, the more likely you’re going to stick to it. Some examples of these are “being more kind to others” or “spending more time with family”. These are things we know we are capable of performing throughout the rest of the year and maybe even the rest of our lives. If living a healthier lifestyle is something you really strive for in the new year, then take everything in moderation. Instead of cutting chocolate completely out of your diet, switch to dark chocolate or only limit yourself to one treat a week. And no one said you have to do this alone! By setting your goal with someone else, you might obtain more motivation in order to fulfill your New Year’s resolution.

If time management is an issue that’s conflicting with your New Year’s resolution, then break it up into sections over the course of the year that’ll help you achieve your goal quicker without giving up as soon.

One of the biggest causes for people not being able to follow their New Year’s resolution is their lack of belief in themselves. New Years isn’t a time for you to pressure yourself into achieving an unrealistic goal and then lying about how well you’ve been doing with it to your friends. The most important thing to remember when making a New Year’s resolution is to be honest with yourself. Ask yourself “is this goal really achievable?” and “Could I keep this going next month?” If both answers are no, then maybe resetting a new goal isn’t such a bad idea after all.