Caring About la Tierra

Shira Buchsbaum

MHS Front Lobby Display

Shira Buchsbaum, Copy Editor/Writer

In honor of Earth Day and in efforts to raise awareness of the importance of the endangered species and the rain forests of the world, Señora Neto’s Spanish created posters and dioramas representing the significance of a great array of species.

About 47 Spanish students and eight French students participated in the project, some working in pairs and some working alone to create around 30 different projects. Señora Neto felt that the project provided students an engaging opportunity with insight into the global community. The project entailed researching the endangered species, plants and animals alike, of the Rainforests of Latin American, the islands, and the oceans. Students had to determine how important the species was, why it was endangered, and the importance and possible methods of saving it. Students then presented their projects, mostly posters with pictures depicting their species, and explained why the significance of the species in the class language.

Señora Neto felt this project was a very eye opening experience for the students, a sentiment students shared. Neto commented, “[the students] realized how we are all, globally, intertwined and what they learn in class affects them…these are not separate entities.” In a similar vein, Neto recently attended the Teaching the World Forum at Rutgers University and was pleased to see the popularity of overlapping subject material. The success of the project encouraged Neto to repeat something of the like next year with her students and to open up the idea of intertwined curriculum.

The students’ projects are on display in the front lobby showcase through the month of April.