Dismal Condition of Bathrooms at MHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dismal Condition of Bathrooms at MHS

Boys' Bathroom at MHS

Boys' Bathroom at MHS

Boys' Bathroom at MHS

Boys' Bathroom at MHS

Matt Sokol, Writer

Founded in 1971, Madison High School has served as one of the leading public educational institutions in the entire state of New Jersey. After almost half a decade, MHS has improved its infrastructure greatly through the implementation of new SMART Board technology as well various new sports facilities including an additional auxiliary gym as well as two new turf fields located behind the school, which are technically owned by the town. Despite all of these new, shiny additions to the school grounds, one aspect of the facility remains untouched after almost 50 years: the bathrooms.

MHS bathrooms have plagued the well-being of students for many years. One bathroom in particular, located in the F hall of Madison High School, is notorious for its status as one of the grimiest and scariest lavatories throughout the entire school.  Walking into the small, dark closet of bathroom, visitors are welcomed with the wafting aroma of “fruity” scents from a time long forgotten. The yellow tiled walls (were they always yellow?) remind students of their surrounding filth and provide an unwelcoming and daunting aura.

Other bathrooms such as those found in C hall and G hall fare no better in their general cleanliness and sanitation. C hall is often stated as being “worse than nothing” with several students like junior Will Wrath claiming that he would “rather wear diapers than use C hall bathroom.”

Despite these blatant allegations towards Madison’s public waste utilities, nothing significant has been done in recent years to improve these current conditions. One student in particular, Jim Nagle stated that “The bathrooms aren’t that bad.” Jim’s views are few and far between throughout Madison High School as many students feel as though immediate action must be taken to alleviate the stress caused by the school bathroom facilities. Even if action is taken, can they truly repair the damage that has already been done?