MHS is Going Wireless

Back to Article
Back to Article

MHS is Going Wireless

Celeste Post, A&E Editor

Madison School District will soon be outfitted with Wi-Fi. The Technology Committee, developed last year, put forth this idea. Coordinator of Technology, Mr. LaPierre confirmed this information, and added that this change was long in the works, and opens up worlds of opportunity by allowing Madison Public Schools to become not only more tech savvy and technologically advanced, but also by allowing us to explore new methods of learning.

The Wi-Fi network will allow our middle school and grade schools to obtain quicker and easier access to school technology such as laptops and other wireless technology. The network will also give our school systems the option to look into purchasing other wireless devices such as nooks and iPads.

Initially this Wi-Fi will be password protected, and available to school technology only. This means only school devices will be able to log onto the network. However, the goal is to hopefully open up this network for students and faculty to bring in their own technology. This Wi-Fi will hopefully not only make learning easier, by eliminating the need for teachers to switch classrooms or crowd the library for laptop or computer use, but to also open doors for students and staff alike to become more creative and innovative in teaching and learning.