Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Jaeger Lajewski

More stories from Jaeger Lajewski

Google Common License

While many have watched Stranger Things and are obsessed with it, others have heard about its greatness way too often and do not understand why.

Stranger Things provides a blend of mystery and sci-fi with tense and suspenseful moments, along with elements of the supernatural. Stranger Things is the perfect amount of mystery: without being too scary and frightening, but just enough to keep the viewer intrigued on what will happen next. The incorporation of the supernatural is incredible but it is not like other shows where it becomes too complex and imaginative where the viewer has a hard time perceiving basic plot. Everything is clear and understandable, perfect for viewers who just want to sit and relax with not much thinking involved.

The emotional connection with the characters is also a great one: while many parts of the show are fictional, others are extremely realistic and relative to the common individual. The four boys which the story is greatly wrapped around can bring memories to anyone over the age of thirteen. Riding bikes, late night games, the dread for school, all invite nostalgia into the show and the emotion only become greater as Will, one boy, goes missing. Despite the fact that Will is drawn into an alternate world by a creature, the process of Will’s mother falling apart can be incredibly intense, especially for the moms who watch. There is a feeling created where the viewer becomes one with the show and all there is to do is keep watching and finish the show for some resolution.

The theme of the show almost appears to have no discrepancies. The 80s appeal is consistent throughout the dialect, costumes, set, and mannerisms. Anyone who grew up during this time will miss it more than ever, and those who did not, will wish they did.

With what seems to have evolved into a dedicated following, Season 2 is the next thing on everyone’s mind.  The release date is October 27, 2017 and many teasers and different details have been released. From what it seems, the first episode is called “Madmax” and the second, “ The Boy Who Came Back to Life”. The latter will be aired on October 31, Halloween, which alludes to a possible theme for that episode. The previous problems of season 1 do not seem to disappear but get worse with this upcoming season. While much more information has surfaced, it is unknown how much is true, seeing as things commonly change, and research has given conflicting information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
7 Comments

7 Responses to “Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?”

1. Ben Pierce on November 22nd, 2017 12:20 pm

Very nice article, however at the end I was a little confused on what you are saying. When you say that the “problems of season 1 do not seem to disappear but get worse with this upcoming season.” Are you saying problem as in problem with the writing, plot holes, dialogue or are you saying problem as in the conflict and things happening in the show. Secondly at the very end when it says that “research has given conflicting information,” what research are you talking about. I’m going to be honest and say that I have no idea what that really means. Besides that I think the article was very good and you did a good job explaining your reasoning.

2. Madison DePierro on November 24th, 2017 1:19 pm

I love this show, the characters, and the emotions that it creates. I can’t wait to finish season 2!

3. Madison DePierro on November 24th, 2017 1:22 pm

I agree that the theme of the 80s is present in every way, I love how the show occurs in this time period.

4. Sam Kotkin on November 26th, 2017 6:35 pm

Although I have not watched the show yet, I have also heard many good reviews of it. I used to watch a lot more T.V. but usually now only watch sports and new Shameless episodes. I found it interesting that you pointed out how the show makes you feel emotionally connected to the characters, as this is something that I have found with some of my favorite show.

5. Catherine Heffernan on November 27th, 2017 11:40 am

I liked how you brought up the 80s appeal within this show, and expanded on the emotional connection that it can create for viewers. I also watch Stranger Things, and feel you did a good job discussing the highlights of the series.

6. Maddy Callahan on November 27th, 2017 1:12 pm

I agree with the article in that it could be one of the best shows on Netflix and I am currently in the middle of season two. So far I have really enjoyed it and I love how it keeps you on edge at all times. The characters are great actors and are super funny. The whole plot of the show is really unique and I have not seen a show like it yet. I’m excited to finish season two and hopefully there will be more to come.

7. Emilee Griggs on November 28th, 2017 12:39 am

I personally believe this article was very well written and provided all necessary information a reader needs to understand the background on the show. Having watched it myself, I can’t quite agree with the statement that the show is completely clear and understandable. I think because there is such a heavy extraterrestrial feel to it, a viewer needs to be paying close attention at all times and every little detail the characters discover is essential to the viewer’s comprehension of what is going on. Despite having deep emotional connections with the characters and on many occasions finding the show funny, there are still many instances in which I think the plot of each episode is dragged out a bit too long and thus is found less entertaining.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

The Impact of Music at MHS

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – The Greatest Game in the Series?

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Gloria Steinem

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Why do some people love horror movies and others hate them?

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Too Scary for Critics? — Explaining the Craft in Venom (SPOILER FREE)

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Is Lil Wayne Tha G.O.A.T.? — The Carter V Review

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Diversity Sells!

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Deadpool 2: End Credit Scene Explained

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Top 10 Albums of 2017

• Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?

Arts and Entertainment

Top 25 Songs of 2017

Navigate Right
Stranger Things, possibly the best show on Netflix yet?