Malala Yousafzai: A Winner in Our Hearts

Back to Article
Back to Article

wikimedia commons

wikimedia commons

wikimedia commons

Girls in School

Quinn Hurley, Writer

Most kids in high school have many uncertainties in their life, not knowing what job they want to have, what beliefs they have, or even what they’re doing this weekend. Unlike many teens, Pakistan native Malala Yousafzai makes worldwide news frequently with her strong beliefs in women’s rights for education as a 16 year old. Starting at only 9 years old, Malala stood up for women’s education under a strict rule of the Taliban in Pakistan, getting noticed by countries including the United States. Last year she again made international news when she was shot in the head by the Taliban, who condemned her work for equal education rights for women. Having suffered a very traumatic experience she could have stepped down from the spotlight, but she did the opposite. She since then has been featured in Time’s “Most Influential People in the World” yearly issue, written a book called “I Am Malala”, and has given a speech about the need for education improvements at the prestigious UN.

Malala’s already extraordinary life at 16 years old seems to amaze people everyday. Having just passed the anniversary of her near death experience, this year has been a huge success for Malala. Due to this near tragedy, many predicted she would win the Nobel Peace Prize for 2013. It seemed right that she would win the prize almost exactly a year after her shooting, showing that she made more than a full recovery. Even after much support from powerful people all over the world, on October 11, 2013 it was announced that the Organization for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) had won following efforts to remove dangerous chemical weapons from harm.

Although the Nobel Peace Prize committee received criticism after not awarding Malala, she took the loss gracefully and congratulated the OPCW for their win. Even without the prize it doesn’t seem like the end of Malala’s education activism is soon.

Quinn Hurley, Writer

Quinn Hurley is a senior at Madison High School. This is her second year writing for the Dodger Online. She likes to play soccer and lacrosse, play with...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Malala Yousafzai: A Winner in Our Hearts”

1. Fiona 96 on October 29th, 2013 9:06 pm

Malala’s story is amazing. She is so brave at such a young age and I admire her courage in standing up for women’s education in Pakistan. She continues to play a role in women’s education by writing her book “I am Malala” and presenting speeches in the U.S.
    Go Malala!

2. Isobel 96 on October 29th, 2013 10:01 pm

This article is an inspiration. I would have never thought of such a young girl being so strong. especially being in a country like hers. I hope whoever shot Malala got sentenced to death because such a strong girl should have never had to put up with what she had to do. the fact that Malala didn’t get the Nobel Peace Prize is very surprising also. if I ever had the chance to meet a girl like Malala, I would because when I read or hear stories about girls with harsh lives that stick through the pain and stand up for what they live for, I get the urge to give them a hug, or say thank you for being as strong as they are.

3. Julia 92 on October 30th, 2013 11:27 am

Malala is an inspiration to everyone, especially students everywhere. Her couragesness and determination inspire me to achieve success, By continuing to fight for what she believes after getting shot, she teaches me to never give up.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Malala Yousafzai: A Winner in Our Hearts

News

Thanksgiving and Black Friday

News

The Devil’s Lettuce

News

Chaos at the Border — Everything You Need to Know About The Migrant Caravan

News

Snipes Stands Down After Florida Midterm Chaos

News

Wildfires Continue to Devastate California

News

Lion Air Tragedy

News

Is it too early for Christmas?

News

Brazil Just Elected A New President. What That Means For The Rest Of Us.

Advice

The Importance of Vaccines

News

The Fate of Journalism