Pitch Perfect: Nearly Perfect

Jane Collins, Junior Editor-in-Chief

“Pitch Perfect” is a quirky comedy riddled with awkward silences and bizarre characters. This isn’t uncommon, that style of unexpected and slightly uncomfortable moments has been growing in recent years. On top of that, women dominate the film’s cast, surely influenced by the success of “Bridesmaids”, a more raunchy, rated “R” comedy with the same “empowered women” theme. By contrast, “Pitch Perfect” received a “PG-13” rating.

“Pitch Perfect” centers on an all girls acapella group “The Bellas” at a fictional college, and their journey to the National Finals at Lincoln Center. The film is based on the book by Mickey Rapkin.

Beca is the main character, an aspiring music producer who is less than excited to attend college. Her father is a professor, and forces his daughter to attend Barden because it is a free education. They make a deal, if Beca tries her best to acclimate to college life by participating in an extracurricular activity for a year, and still wants to leave for LA, her father will allow it. If not, she stays at Barden for four years.

While the plotline follows Beca, arguably the funniest moments involve “Fat Amy”, played by Rebel Wilson, an up and coming funny woman in Hollywood.

I’d recommend this movie to anyone who enjoyed “Bridesmaids” or is looking for a laugh-out-loud comedy. It has some inappropriate moments, so I agree with the PG-13 rating.